LIDIA BIURRUN ROOM
Built in 1580 as an old access vault to the gate known as Puerta del Socorro. The door was walled up in 1720, and the place became a chapel over the years. Today it is the city’s municipal venue for celebrating civil marriages.
Standing next to the Bastion of Santa María, this was the original gate known as Puerta del Socorro, granting access to the walls through a platform or ramp. Only later it became a chapel. The current Puerta del Socorro dates from 1720 and connects the Citadel with Vuelta del Castillo Park – first through a wooden bridge that was once a drawbridge, and then through a stone bridge that crosses the ravelins and the counterguard of Santa Isabel over the moats.